Sunday, December 6, 2009

Brothers and Sisters: Family Poems


By Eloise Greenfield

This poetry book initially caught my eye because of the title--I am very close with my brother and so this book seemed appropriate to read. This book includes poems of only African American children but everyone who has a sibling can relate to each poem. It includes a section on poems just about brothers, then only about sisters, and finally brothers and sisters. The brothers section included poems on step-brothers, teenage brothers, and even fathers' relationship with his brothers. I especially enjoyed the poem "Don't Talk Mean" because it is told by the older brother trying to protect his younger sister. Although my brother and I usually butted heads growing up, he has always been and probably always will be very protective of me. This book would be fun to include on a unit about families because it does a good job highlighting the positive relationships of siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment