Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Misfits, Pt. 1


By James Howe

My first impression of Joe was that he was quite mature for his age. I pictured him tall and skinny, and very handsome looking. I was shocked to find out that he was overweight. It was a strange realization of how much reading can build mental images and finding out that Joe did not match my mental image was a bit surprising. I thought it was funny how the four friends call themselves the 'Gang of Five' because they want to keep people guessing about the last person. That's what I was thinking when I read it. I like the humor used throughout the book, and I think young readers would too. I was also rather shocked to find out that Joe confessed that he was gay. (I did not know the exact reason why this book was controversial at the beginning) Yet I honestly do not think this book should be banned because the main character is gay. I think that at this point in the book, a lot of children can relate to the main characters because I'm sure everyone has been teased or called names before. The first half of the book made me reflect on my own experiences as an adolescent, and I too felt like a 'misfit'. I can relate to how hurtful and cruel names can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment