Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Boxcar Children


By Gertrude Chandler Warner

I can still remember the day when I checked this book out at the school library about thirteen years ago. As a child I really enjoyed Gertrude Chandler Warner's novels. Reading this book again was pretty cool because I could remember a few chapters and it was weird to see it from my perspective now. While reading I couldn't help but think how the scenario is very unrealistic. It was almost like a fantasy novel to me when I was younger; how simplistic life was for the children who only needed food and shelter to be happy. I can't even think of life without my cell phone or the internet! The roles that the children took were very stereotypical. Jessie, the oldest sister, was in charge of setting up the boxcar and making dinner that the oldest brother, Henry brought home after a long day's work. I felt that the whole field day race that the grandfather sponsored was random. I did not care for how the children just assumed that their grandfather was old and mean as if the two qualities go hand in hand. However, I did like the fact that the kids missed their boxcar and their simple life compared to living in luxury under their grandfather's roof. I loved this book when I was younger but I think now it is a little outdated.

No comments:

Post a Comment