Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Esio Trot


By Roald Dahl

I chose to read this novel because it was by an author I have heard of (the author of James and the Giant Peach). Otherwise, it would not have been a book I would typically pick up judging by its cover. I felt that the story kept me interested but I was disappointed with the ending. I liked when I finally figured out what the title was about because I was a little confused as to what the title meant. I think children would enjoy the silliness of Mr. Hoppy fooling Mrs. Silver that turtles really talk backwards. When the text is written so it creates a staircase and it clearly states that Mr. Hoppy leaves the door to his apartment open, I expected all of the turtles to come out and for Mrs. Silver to figure out what he was up to. I think that may have been a better ending. It was a little unrealistic for my taste, but on the other hand, children might enjoy it. I did not think that Mr. Hoppy should have gotten away with lying and overall, I do not think it sends a very good message. On the bright side, I did enjoy the more simple, sketch-like drawings throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment